1. Don't hole up in your house. Get out, mingle and meet people.
2. Get your spouse out, too. If you have kids, even better.
3. Don't make a big deal about your self-importance or what you did previously.
4. Find something in the community that interests you and get involved.
5. If you have a specialty or skill, offer it for free.
6. Get involved with local sports. Games are major social events.
7. Offer to write or report, article or guest editorial for the local paper.
8. Take a class or teach a class.
This advice is from an author whose book I'll receive soon for review.
"Radical Relocating: A northern big-city executive joyfully reflects on his move to the Virginia countryside" by Tony Vanderwarker.