Sunday, December 10, 2006

Do you take low dose aspirin?

Many people take low dose aspirin daily. I was born with an extra circuit in my heart which over the years caused atrial fibrillation. It was ablated (zapped) a few years ago, I was on medication for awhile, and now I just take a 81 mg aspirin once a day (a blood thinner). A-fib puts you at risk for a stroke.

I noticed an article in the Berkeley Wellness Letter on, "Should Your Aspirin Wear a Coat." I guess I thought a coated aspirin would be better, but according to this article, that's not necessarily true. It depends on why you're taking it. The coating can prevent quick pain relief. In my case, it doesn't matter if it takes an hour or so longer to work, so you need to always check with your doctor before starting any regular use of aspirin.

The article points out some things about aspirin I didn't know. Go to the archive of UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, and click on December 2006.

No comments: