Saturday, December 20, 2008

Wants not needs


Christmas is a tough time for us retirees. The kids, spouse, sister/brother, buddy asks, What do you want for Christmas, and you can't think of a thing. I've been married 48 years, I'm 69, and if there's anything I need or want it's usually pretty small (Clariton, new pair of hose, mittens) I just buy it. But just let me walk through Macy's at the before 1 p.m. sale on a Friday, and all of a sudden, I'm standing at the "Take another 50% off" sale rack. It's not that I believe the "originally was" tag--clothes are never that. But when it's new and costs less than I could get it at a resale shop (my favorite is Discovery cancer shop here in Columbus), I do stop and push around the merchandise. Yesterday I bought this little jacket--full of bright colors and patterns--with western detailing and metal buttons. Not me, but $9, from the "original" $58, and I'm as big a sucker as the next mama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too,I float into the perfume department and never come out without one new smell...after trying on several and making my choice...it is for ME not for my sisters or a friend...for me...I found a jacket also,not as bright as yours but in a plaid and I look like a buss in it...but I will wear to church at midnight mass,if it works there I'm good..as much as I have said that Christmas is giving to others(and I do) there resides in me a selfish elf and i admit it...I loved the photo(you are looking so good) and the jacket is very gay(oh, I wish that word was O.K. to use freely,it is such a good word for this type of garment and this time of year...thanks for sharing...Lynne

Norma said...

I didn't keep this very long. I think it went to the resale shop after a season or two.