Saturday, November 18, 2006

Health benefits of modest weight loss

When your BMI (body mass index) increases, the risk of dying from any cause increases. If you're a boomer or older, you've probably packed on a few resistant pounds in the past few years. I added 20 lbs when we got broadband for the computer! At 150 I was "borderline overweight" and now at 139 I'm back in the upper range of "normal." And I'm back in my favorite slacks. I'm working on a modest weight loss now because we're having a great retirement and I want it to stay that way. With even a modest weight loss, you can experience the following:

Decreased risk of heart disease

Decreased risk of diabetes

Decreased risk of some cancers

Decreased levels of blood glucose (blood sugar) and insulin

Decreased blood pressure

Decreased levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides

Increased HDL (good cholesterol)

Decrease in severity of sleep apnea

Reduced symptoms of degenerative joint disease

Improvement in gynecologic conditions

Decrease in problems with pregnancy and labor

Reduced incidence and symptoms of depression

Decrease in discrimination

Easier to exercise and be physically fit

Many of these points come from The Step Diet Book, Workman Publishing, 2004, which might work, but my pedometer doesn’t. Any article you read on health will probably include some or all of these.

No comments: