Thursday, November 30, 2006

It's the journey!

At 81 suffering from a few minor health aggrevations, he took up a biking challenge. He found it's the journey that matters.

"In 2002 my son Ed talked me into getting into the annual American Lung Association Mt. Diablo Challenge race. Over 1,000 riders enter each year, all ages, so I said I’d try it on the mountain bike. Years ago when we lived in Walnut Creek Ed and I had gone up that mountain many times, but I hadn’t tried it for over 25 years. Boy was I embarrassed! It took me 2 hours, 35 minutes to get to the top. I kept seeing riders coming back down. I couldn’t understand why the bike (and me) were so sluggish. When I reached the top, the timekeeper was packing up and wouldn’t take my time. He said: “Next time ride faster!”.

I took that to heart and bought a nice Romulus by Rivendell in Walnut Creek and trained all the next year. I learned more about heart monitors and the different heart zones and what they do. My doctor, who is also a bike rider, got me to John Muir Hospital for a treadmill test and echocardiogram. The cardiologist said: “Go do it! You don’t have any clogged veins or arteries.” And so I entered the Mt. Diablo challenge for 2003 at age 81.

To cut a long story short, I made it in one hour and thirty-five minutes by the clock when I got to the top. (Not official time, that’s published later this year on the Internet.) I got a nice medal for being the oldest rider to get to the top and three expensive bike shorts. One pair fits me fine, one pair fits Betty for our tandem riding, and one pair was HUGE, which I gave away. Thank you somebody for donating those real neat bike shorts.

All the early symptoms of getting older have gone away. I never have a sinus headache, no stomach problems, (unless I eat Mexican), bone density of 50-year-old, no more touches of arthritis, sleep perfectly every night, and seem to have a mental alertness of a much younger person. Betty experiences the same benefits. I ride between 70 and 100 miles a week; Betty does between 40 and 50. You will see us from time to time on our tandem riding with you, and you’ll see me riding up that mountain sometimes on Wednesday’s training for the 2004 challenge.

And that’s really my message. Keep a challenge in front of you no matter how old you get. Keep reaching out for the best that’s in you. Remember that the journey is often more rewarding than the destination, and don’t become totally satisfied with the destination…because there are always further and better destinations to try for. I’m going to get up Diablo in 2004 under 1 ½ hours!"

Full story here.

No comments: